Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Bust of Ben





A couple of years ago Peggy was at a museum in California and saw this bust of a slave boy from Ancient Rome. It deserved a blog post because it looks so much like Ben at age 5 or 6.  I am blown away by it every time I look at it. I couldn't find a non-smiling picture of Ben, so this was the closest I could find of a face close-up.  Now looking at this picture, I think the bust looks more like Ben at 8 or 9.  I may have to spend more time later looking for a different picture. 

Martial, a young slave boy, had a owner who was much fond of him as his owner took out an expense to have this crafted. 

http://hum111.wikispaces.com/Children+in+Ancient+Rome



1 comment:

  1. I agree, when he got older, his cheeks got smaller and the resemblance was greater. :)

    ReplyDelete